Thursday, July 28, 2011

Hey! It's my Anniversary!

My cable company sent me a card yesterday.  I know what you're thinking - by "card" I meant "bill."  Nope, this was an actual card.  It was a Thank-you card, thanking me for one year of service to them as their customer.  I have been living here in this duplex, in this city, in this state, for a whole year.  This has not happened in 6 years. 

Contentment flooded my veins as I held the card in my hands.  I stared at it a moment, trying to grasp the feelings I was having.  In many ways I felt like dancing.  In other ways I felt like crying.  Mostly, I wanted to yell down the street, "Hey everbody!  It's my anniversary!  Come celebrate with me!"

My celebratory state soon wound down and I entered a period of deep thought.  It's been a year.  In that year I moved 2,000 miles from the place I called "home."  I left my entire family for my new family.  I made new friends and neighbors.  I've been away and back a few times.  Along with working like crazy, I've had time to recreate in all sorts of areas.  I stayed warm in winter and cool in summer.  I tried my hand at landscaping, gardening, cooking, cleaning (which I hate, by the way), budgeting (which I hate slightly less than cleaning), and blogging (which I love).  I spent way too much time on Facebook and not nearly enough time in face-to-face conversation, but in all it's been a successful year.

A successful year... or has it been?  Suddenly, without warning, a "New Year's Resolution" virus invades my brain as I realize how many things I haven't finished.  You wanted to get a dog.  You wanted to start rock climbing.  You were going to get a new bike.  You were going to lose 15 pounds.  A head board would be nice and those pictures in the extra bedroom are STILL in boxes.  You still live on mac-n-cheese, spaghetti, and pizza.  Your piano gets dustier with everyday you don't play.  You had friends over...maybe twice?  And your...STOP!  I scream, inside my head, before this gets completely out of control.

I take a deep breath and in a few seconds life is good again.  It's surprising to think how damaging only a few negative thoughts can be on a person's ego.  I go back to focusing on the bright side. Turns out, all of the things I was planning to do with this year, in this house, on this block, in this city, were set aside by more valuable things.  Things like, connecting with parents and students.  Spending time with family and friends.  Learning the culture of my surroundings.  Learning about me.  Taking in sunsets or the crunching of snow beneath my feet.  Reading more.  Listening more.  Giving God more.  Timeless things.   Priceless things.   Memories which will never be rewritten. That's how I spent my year here.

Today, on my anniversary, I celebrate one year of joy.   One year, I spent checking things off a list I didn't know was mine.  A list I clearly didn't write.  It's because of that list I refuse to make resolutions for the upcoming year.  The pre-written list is better anyway.  Last year, was proof.

"I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

  1. This is so well written. I feel sometimes we share the same brain, which of course is twice as large as the average brain, if not more. We're no dumbies is what I'm trying to say.

    ReplyDelete