Sunday, July 3, 2011

Clutter-brained

The scene is a psychologist's office.  The young female doctor sits patiently taking notes, as I, the patient, recall to her the facts.  Scene ensues:

Me:  Like I said before Doctor, the Restlessness began on Wednesday, in the bedroom.  After a desperate attempt to rearrange the mangled members of an over-stuffed closet space, I realized my short shopping trips over a year had mutated into a massive monstrous problem.  "Where have all the hangers gone?"  I thought to myself, in a frustrated tone.  Frantically I began my purge.  A ripped pair of jeans here, an old tee shirt three sizes too big, there, those nasty flats which hadn't been worn in 8 months...before I knew it three hours had passed and I was 40 hangers richer.  Let's not even think about how rich the numerous Goodwill customers would be after hitting the jackpot with my recent donation.

DR:  Interesting.  Tell me, what happened next?
Me:  The closet explosion led to a short recuperation from my cluttered state.  Two minutes later, I made my way into the extra bedroom and began work on the extra closet.  How many paperweights does a person really need?  Let's be honest with ourselves.  By the end of the evening I had sorted and stacked, tossed and packed, for 6 hours through two closets.  Finding treasures and recalling memories all along the way.  Declutter is a perfect fix to any Restlessness making residence in one's mind and body.  Wednesday was a productive day.

Dr:  And did you feel better after that?  I mean, did the Restlessness go away?
Me:  No.  Much to my dismay, I woke up Thursday and the feeling was still there.  What else was there to declutterize?  Plenty, I thought.  I made my way to my classroom.  In the blink of an eye the cupboards had flown open, posters, projects, and paints erupted onto the floor.  My raid began.  8 hours later, I was half-way finished.  Feeling on a roll, I showed up Friday morning with the same goal in mind.  Friday came and went, decluttering turned into rearranging.  Needless to say, the process is still influx.  About 3/4 of the job completed I see the result of my Monday will be a satisfied sigh of relief.  Yet, I don't feel Restlessness leaving anytime soon.  What can I do?

DR:  I think you're doing well.  Keep doing what your doing.
Me:  Keep decluttering?

DR:  Yes.  Let's make a list. 
Projects to complete before the summer is through:
1.  Classroom (it will take at least two more days)
2.  Kitchen cabinets
3.  Basement storage
4.  Yard (front and back)
5.  E-mail accounts
6.  Facebook friends (it's true...my apologies in advance)
7.  Cell contacts
8.  Jewelry
9.  Desk
10. Trunk
11. Hopefully you won't need a number 11.

Me:  Do you really think this will work?
DR:  Perhaps with each project the gigantic weight of unease will become less and less, until finally you are so exhausted it will disappear all together.  In the event of complete and utter relapse, I may suggest you start at the top of the list and try again to repress the Restlessness which takes over your very cluttered brain.

Me:  (Sigh)  Thank-you Doctor, you have been very helpful. 

Taking my list, I leave the office feeling light as a feather and direct as an arrow.  I have a lot of work to do!

1 comment:

  1. I love lists! Thanks for motivating me to check mine!

    ReplyDelete