Saturday, November 5, 2011

snowy saturday

For some weeks now I've been longing to wake up late, sip coffee from my moose mug, feel cozy in my chair as the snow falls, and write.  There have been several reasons this has not happened.  Reason Number One:  it hasn't snowed.  Reason Number Two:  the days I get to sleep late are few and far between.  Reason Number Three:  you other writers will understand this, ispiration has been lacking.  It's tough to write when your fingers and your brain tell you there is nothing to write about.  Okay Void, you're right, don't think I can't hear you uttering, "But your blog is about nothing."  I admit, my blog does not have a point or a goal, or a cause.  It's not political, or educational, or even popular.  I would hope it serves a purpose.  It does for me.  Today it fulfills my longing wish to spend a Saturday morning at the keyboard, with my moose mug, while the snowflakes gently fall outside my window.

In Wisconsin, the first snow was an exciting day as a little girl. We'd tear on our hats and gloves, snow pants and boots and run outside just to catch a snowflake on the tongue.  My siblings and I would wait a few hours until there was just enough on the ground to build a midget of a snowman.  But, the best part of the first snow was warming up.  You couldn't go in the back door, "Go around to the front!"  Mom would say.  Inside we'd kick off our snowy clothes, desperately avoid bits of cold snow and puddles of icy water, and race to the kitchen where Mom served us hot cocoa and cookies.  Then she'd set the stove to warm, place the piano bench next to it, open the door, and let us warm our toes in the stove.  Best Day Ever!  It makes me laugh thinking about five little kids sipping luke warm cocoa out of plastic cups, with fifty little toes stuck in the stove.

We're not little kids anymore.  Although we're all over the place, living our own lives, I can't help but wonder what it would be like if we were all together today.  On this day - the first snow in Utah.  Something tells me nothing would change.  That's the blessing of a great family.  No matter how old you get, or how far apart you live, when you're together, life is good.

I can hear the neighbor kids playing in the snow next door...it's all I can do to not throw on my boots and ask if I can play too.

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog...therefore, it's gotta' be popular, right??! ;) Hope all is well in your part of the world Katie!! God bless <

    ReplyDelete