Monday, April 25, 2011

sorry, gym, we need to break up

I ended it with Gym today.  It was only a matter of time.  I’d been seeing less and less of him lately. Yet, he still insisted on taking things from me.  One might argue he wasn’t being any trouble.  Of course when I did seldom see him the time we spent together was meaningful and good for me, but the things he took were too important to me.  It’s true, I’ll admit it, I cannot sacrifice my money for Gym.  My conscience won’t let me. 

This isn't the first time Gym and I have had this fight.  About a month ago I tried to approach the subject of seeing other people and exercise venues, but Gym wasn’t ready yet.  He begged and pleaded with me, “Please don’t leave me!”  So I said I would stay - if he promised to take less of my belongings.  He agreed…he would only take $26.95/month instead of the regular $32.50.  Part of me wanted to say it wasn’t worth it, but my more sympathetic side decided he’d had enough disappointment for one day.

One month later I was out $26.95 and I had not seen one minute of Gym.  However, Canyon, Mountain, Trail, and Sunshine, had my complete attention.  I felt dishonest.  I felt awful.  I felt it was silly to keep leading Gym on by allowing him to take my money when he was not getting any attention in return.  I was feeling badly about it too.  Gym should be able to see how he was helping me.  If I never showed up for any of our dates, it just wasn't fair.  I did what anyone would have done.  I left him.

It was a longer conversation than I would have liked it to be.  Again, he tried to coax me into staying longer.  He apologized up and down for not being what I’d expected.  He even suggested a break!  He would agree to not see me for up to 6 months if I agreed to give him just $7.00 a month.  That was the last straw.  I had to be firm.  I had to be assertive.  I had to stick to my guns.  Finally, I just told him flat out, I didn't love him and I wanted to see other Gyms.  That was it.  End of conversation.  Now I’m free.

I happen to believe a girl needs to be in love with her Gym if she's going to stay with it.  This Gym was just not the one for me.  Next fall I'll begin the search for a Gym I can be myself with.  A Gym that has everything I need and makes me feel like a million bucks.  Until then, I'll stick with the places I know I already love.  Hello, Mountain.  Hello, Trail.  Hello, Canyon.  Hello, Sunshine.  Hello, FREE!

1 comment:

  1. You my dear, are one clever lady. I smiled the entire time I was reading this! I recently started seeing a certain David Victor Denton, his friends call him DVD, but I like to keep things formal between us. The thing I enjoy most about David is that he comes in many sides to his personality, currently I have paid to see 7. He's kept me satisfied, until his next side becomes available.

    ReplyDelete