Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Heavenly Christmas...

Void, I'm sure you're already aware, it's Christmas again.  Christmas number 25.  Like all the other Christmases, I've decorated my tree and lit my lights.  I've bought some gifts and have more to buy.  Like last Christmas, I'm scrabbling to get it all done before it arrives.  Like Christmases before it, I'm indulging in sugary sweets, hot chocolaty cocoa, and searching for that first sign of snow.  This Christmas, like last Christmas, I hum to catchy tunes on the radio, tear up during sentimental commercials, and hunker down with a bowl of popcorn for the Christmas movie on ABC Family.  This Christmas I made plans to fly home to see my parents and look forward to special worship services.  But this Christmas is different.  This Christmas, we're missing Grandpa.

We never went to see Grandpa and Grandma on actual Christmas day.  It was usually a few days after.  But it didn't matter.  It was still Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's.  Christmas at Grandpa's was warm and exciting.  We spent the night snuggled in old sleeping bags on the living room carpet.  Every morning, we woke up early to race to our shoes (which we'd obediently lined up by the door the night before) and found a single piece of candy in the left one.  Grandma'd let us decorate sugar cookies and Grandpa taught us chess.  That was Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

This Christmas is different.  Grandpa is in heaven this Christmas.  What's it like, I wonder, your first Christmas in heaven?  Christmas in God's house can be nothing short of spectacular.  Can you imagine it, Void?  I imagine, a choir of a millions angels, singing praises to Him, the greatest gift of all.  Grandpa's singing with them in perfect harmony this Christmas.  I imagine, a table adorned with every good food imaginable and around it sit the people you knew and loved in this life.  Grandpa is feasting there this Christmas.  I imagine, a tree which stretches high above the ceiling, twinkles in splendor, and sparkles with ornaments of heavenly glory.  Grandpa is seeing that tree with his own eyes, this Christmas.  This Christmas, my Grandpa is the happiest he's ever been and I am glad.  I'm glad he's there, celebrating.

My First Christmas in Heaven
Author:  Unknown

I am having my first Christmas in Heaven
A glorious, wonderful day!
I am standing with saints of all ages,
Who found Christ, the truth and the way

I am singing with the heavenly choir
I--who so loved to sing!
And, oh what celestial music
We bring to our Savior and King

I am singing the glad song of redemption,
How Jesus to Bethlehem came,
And why they called his name Jesus,
That all may be save through his name!

Oh, loved one, I wish you could be here!
No Christmas on earth can compare,
With all of the rapture in glory,
I witness in Heaven so fair!

You know how I always loved Christmas,
It seemed such a wonderful day,
With all of my loved ones around me,
We were so happy in every way.
Yes, now I can see why I loved it,
And, oh what a joy it will be,
When all of my loved ones are with me,
To share all the glories I see!

So, dear ones on earth, I send greetings,
Look up!  Til dawning appears,
And, oh what a Christmas awaits us,
Beyond all our parting and tears!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment