Monday, May 2, 2011

in these 15 minutes

On Mondays I like to get to school extremely early.  I take that back.  To some it may seem extremely early, but I enjoy a good early, relaxing morning.  There is something special about the freshness of a new day which causes my brain to work more efficiently.  Even in college I found proofing and finalizing a paper in the early morning hours, was much more effective than pinching myself to stay awake late into the night.

This Monday I walked in the building at my usual 6:30 AM and began the tasks of the day.  I made copies, set out worksheets, straighted the classroom from Friday's craziness, prepared my Bible lesson for the morning...and Wha-lah!  It's 7:35 and I'm ready for the day.  I've got 15 minutes to reflect before faculty devotion.

I smile as I gaze out the one window in my classroom and see the sun shining in a perfect, cloudless sky.  Today is going to be a great day.  I'm calm as I contemplate the excitement which will envelope 14 little faces as they enter the classroom this morning.  My heart jumps a little as I think of the many opportunities I will have to be part of their lives today.  I anticipate the frustrations and the joys.  In these 15 minutes I find myself taking time to say a prayer.  I take 15 minutes to talk to my Lord and I know He is listening.

In my prayer I take time to say thank-you.  Thank-you for this day.  Thank-you for this sunshine.  Thank-you for all the blessings in my life.  15 minutes is a lot of time to think about how blessed I am.  I have a roof over my head, a job I love, a beautiful state to live in, fabulous friends who care, a family that loves me, and above all, a Savior, who will never leave me.  Thank-you Jesus, for this day.  Thank-you Jesus, for these 15 minutes.

1 comment: